So as mentioned earlier after realizing just how soon the 25th was, I changed gears and started work on some more Nurgle Plaguebearers this evening. I sprayed them black, then used Delta Ceramcoat black (which actually dries a nice flat black), then two or three more touch up of Chaos black. After all this I reached for Foundry Triad Dusky Flesh pot 6C. Some people online like this triad but it is the least useful of all I’ve purchased. I thought at least it would provide a base to built up from…
I put it on the P3 Wet Palette and it didn’t cover much at all. I new I was going to have to do another coat. So I looked around for a similar color and chose GW’s Graveyard Earth. I put it on the wet palette and it didn’t cover much better. I don’t know if I’m using the wet palette too wet, or if I shouldn’t use it at all until I got the basecoats down?
After putting a second coat of each paint on, again using the wet palette things looked better, but I figured why not do a third coat? So I have three coats of paint on the model, all the same colour, time to start building up the highlights. I decide to just go straight to Foundry Flesh Triad and grab pot 5A. It gets put on the wet palette and it covers quite well, so maybe the A colours have more pigment or something. I make sure it is good and thin and though it looks a bit different I push on. I figured when I put a wash over top it would blend together pretty well.
For the other model, the more upright one, I chose Foundry Drab Triad number 12. I was going to go straight to the C, but once it was on the wet palette I knew it was too light so I got out the B and put that on thinly as a first highlight. Now the models were starting to look a bit different and a bit like I’d spent some time on them.
As part of my flesh, I decided to use GW’s old flesh wash. This has never worked out very good for me, no matter how much I shake it or stir it, the pink pigment always separates leaving a light brown was. I shaked it every few minutes and I’ve been rotating it regularly so having read online how some people actually miss it, I decided I’d put some on my other palette, in one of the little cups. I actually got some pink pigment in it. I thinned it with a drop of water, stirred everything really good, and put some on the model.
I’d previously done a pretty heavy wash of Devlan Mud on the one I’d used the Drab triad on, so I put the same amount of wash on the Flesh triad one, it looked orange, I pushed on, it really was orange. I don’t know how it got orange, no orange paint or inks were involved. Maybe I should have tried to wash the stuff right off, instead I put it on much thinner and tried to remove the excess from in the recesses.
Both models are drying while I type this, but I’m sure you’ll agree when you see it now, the flesh plaguebearer is definitely tinted orange. It is quite a weird colour, doesn’t look like I’ve spent all evening trying to achieve it. The Drab plaguebearer on the other hand looks very evil. I’m pretty tired so I think they’ll stay as is until tomorrow, but both need a lot of work, maybe I should have done them all green or pale blue, colours I’ve actually tried before. I tend to use my plaguebearers to expirement on, but I’m on a deadline so perhaps I shouldn’t have this time. Hopefully with some decent highlights and maybe another wash they’ll come out alright. I plan to try Ogryn Flesh Wash on the flesh coloured now orange one and Gryphonne Sepia on the Drab one after building the highlights back up.