Welcome back boring text fans, where once again I make another movement tray for the square base game I play every 5 or 6 years. This is the first of two movement trays I will be making this week. This one was to be the simplest, but even simple projects can go wrong if you’re not careful or it is late at night…
For this week’s Mighty Empires campaign I have to use mercenaries, this means after slaving to get a 1500 point Nurgle Daemon army on the table I must change it. This wasn’t the end of the world, but it did mean I’d be devoting a lot more time to painting Warhammer Fantasy Battle stuff than I had planned this week. I decided to make the new movement tray for the Plaguebearers out of sheet styrene as it is nice to work with, but I liked the sides of the balsa tray I made, so it was to have a balsa wood rim. That’s right a hybrid.
This time I got out five 25mm square bases and even wrote the measurements down on my painting table. Due to army list changes and a slight under performance of my army last week, this week’s army features a unit of 30 Plaguebearers, still with the two magic banners, but no longer in Horde formation. I decided I wanted more depth and less frontage. This meant the interior size of the movement tray was to be 12.5 cm by 15 cm. I allowed for a tiny bit of extra space and 4mm for the three edges. I even wrote the dimension right on the tray after I was done scoring the edges.
Just like last time I put balsa wood along the front. I measured twice and cut once. Then I put balsa wood along the width, cut two matching lengths and started gluing and clamping the sides to the sheet styrene. When it was all clamped I got out my five bases and quickly realized that after trimming the side to the correct width I’d left the movement tray facing the wrong way, what I had made was a 15 cm by 12.5 cm movement tray or 6 models wide and 5 rows deep. This was a bit embarrassing but a good lesson. I removed the clamps from one side, rotated the tray, measured another piece of balsa wood, glued and clamped it.
I got out the five plastic bases and it was a good fit. Six models wide was a tight fit, and wasn’t what I wanted, I think for the Plaguebearers to win combats they need to grind down the opposition. With only one attack base and not particularly great WS or Str what won combats for them last week were the two standardbearers, the magic banner(s), and early on the +3 rank bonus was nice. Later on they still won, but it was lucky, keeping a rank bonus or two later into the game would have helped them I think. In this formation they have 10 wounds to give before they lose a rank bonus, same as when there was 40 of them and the extra points saved will hopefully allow the rest of the army to be more effective.
My mercenaries for the week consist of a Level 2 Night Goblin Shaman who I’ve dubbed Ickybob and in the great tradition of naming Ork regiments, his unit is Ickybob’s Boyz. This week that will be 50 Night Goblin Archers, but in the display case there are 55, 54 including Ickybob. There is a strict 25% max/min, or at least that is my understanding of mandatory mercenaries week, so I have exactly 375 points of Night Goblins in my 1500 point army. 50 Archers, 5 ranks of ten right? Well since I plan to magnetize the goblins and their movement trays, I don’t want to make two trays per unit. Ickybob’s Boyz will rank up 11 wide and still five rows deep. I’m really looking forward to seeing if the Level 2 sorcerer makes a difference, the best I can do magic wise at 1500 points and still have Harold of Nurgle leading the Neatherworldly Mathematicians is a Level 2 and a Level 1 which is what I’ll try this week. I may go with a single Level 2 the week after it depends on if I win my game and if I make any gold in the campaign, plus of course my ability to complete miniature paint jobs.
Well that is more than enough for tonight and today. Hopefully tomorrow starts better as I really do need to find a job.