Still WIP Bezerkers

I’ve been chipping away at this squad.  I’d like to be further along, hell I’d like to be finished, but it looks like I won’t even finish the skulls and bones tonight unless I stay up late.  While checking some RSS feeds I noticed From the Warp is more alive and Ron intends to keep it that way, so I decided to throw up a post.

I never left From the Warp or joined any competing networks when Ron took a hiatus.  Hopefully I can keep painting and improve my traffic and readership.  I think I’m up to about 100 posts.

WIP Khorne Bezerker Champion
WIP Khorne Bezerker Champion

This model has been dubbed Beelzebubba after a both the Dead Milkmen album and my old buddy Bub.  He is the champ, he will have a power weapon and I’ll be doing it and the exposed skin once I finish the bone.  I have been using less washes on the small bits, something I intend to continue when I finish the leather.

I’m not super happy with the red, it got too bright.  My second test Bezerker still has the best armor color. I used mostly the same colors but I need to use the same thickness of paint and density of washes…  I could try to darken it a bit with another wash, but I just want them done.  I usually come to that stage when I paint anything.

I barely avoided my red becoming too orange, I also think I avoided the greens becoming too bright and the Bezerker starting to look like a Christmas ornament.  Hopefully with the bones, skin, and purple flames finished they’ll look good alongside the other two.

Advertisements

Painted bones and cables

After finishing the armour and the trim as well as the other metallics on the guns and backpacks, I move on to painting the cables and all the skull and bone motifs found on Chaos Space Marines.  That is my standard method that I’ve stuck to for years.  On the Diseased Sons and most models really I use the same basic recipes.

For bone I like to base coat with Snakebite Leather.  Then I paint on in kinda a wetbrush Bleached Bone.  Next comes a wash of a thinned down Rust Brown Ink with a little Plasma Red Ink added to the mix.  After that dries I add a lighter color, often as a drybrush.  This time I used both Vallejo Beige and Skull White.

The cabling is green.  I start with a really dark green, this time an old pot of Dark Angels Green.  Then I use a couple medium greens and then a wash.  I used GW’s new green wash to save time.  Then for the lascannon coils I painted on another highlight of a lighter green, Scorpion Green.

Then I called it a night and watch a movie. WIP Nurgle Havocs

Next I plan to paint two different sickly fleshes.  I use pale blue flesh for my Plaguemarines and followers of Nurgle.  I use a more traditional rotting green flesh for daemons and in this case the various skulls hanging as trophies from these models.  That’s a pretty modest goal for today’s painting but, I have to deal with some other things such as finding a job.

I use techniques for painting flesh similar to those detailed by Ron at FTW.  I plan to try out Dhenab Stone as a base, though I’m traditionally a light grey or a pale green guy.