Painted bones and cables

After finishing the armour and the trim as well as the other metallics on the guns and backpacks, I move on to painting the cables and all the skull and bone motifs found on Chaos Space Marines. That is my standard method that I’ve stuck to for years. On the Diseased Sons and most models really I use the same basic recipes.

For bone I like to base coat with Snakebite Leather. Then I paint on in kinda a wetbrush Bleached Bone. Next comes a wash of a thinned down Rust Brown Ink with a little Plasma Red Ink added to the mix. After that dries I add a lighter color, often as a drybrush. This time I used both Vallejo Beige and Skull White.

The cabling is green. I start with a really dark green, this time an old pot of Dark Angels Green. Then I use a couple medium greens and then a wash. I used GW’s new green wash to save time. Then for the lascannon coils I painted on another highlight of a lighter green, Scorpion Green.

Then I called it a night and watch a movie. WIP Nurgle Havocs

Next I plan to paint two different sickly fleshes. I use pale blue flesh for my Plaguemarines and followers of Nurgle. I use a more traditional rotting green flesh for daemons and in this case the various skulls hanging as trophies from these models. That’s a pretty modest goal for today’s painting but, I have to deal with some other things such as finding a job.

I use techniques for painting flesh similar to those detailed by Ron at FTW. I plan to try out Dhenab Stone as a base, though I’m traditionally a light grey or a pale green guy.

Return of the Purple Plague Marines

Last night I finally forced myself to pick up the brushes again. I don’t think it is a coincidence I stopped painting during yet more purple plague marines/Nurgle renegades. I think one of the reasons I’m tired of painting them is I’ve done just about everything twice and I never even get to use them in games anymore as I have so many painted.

The models aren’t finished but I did finish the armor and most of the metallics. I used the regular colors: Foundry Royal Purple triad, Boltgun Metal, Chainmail, Mithril Silver and Tin Bitz & Brazen Brass. Throw in a few washes and there you go. Time to take a picture.

Next I will paint the bones and cables. But first I’ll probably do a little black touch up work. Even though they are the last and and probably least important batch I still want them to look good. I used pieces from a wide variety of kits for these but mainly: Plague Marine Havocs, Forgeworld Death Guard Conversion Kits, Chaos Havocs and I think a 3rd Edition box set Space Marine Missile Launcher.

I’m running out of Chaos Space Marine Torsos and even more so legs. I think I’ll be all right as I have plenty of models assembled and primed that aren’t Chaos Space Marines. I also have old metal models which I’ll be using to fill out my force.

WIP Purple Plaguemarines

The Orks and Goblins Army Book is supposedly coming out in March so I’ll buy that and maybe finally get a fully painted Goblin army on the table.