So although I said I was going to switch to working on my Astronomi-con Vancouver army and some more test models, I ended up working quite a lot on the next trench table tile. This tile is ‘D2’, it has a name too. I really should put some of my planning documentation on this blog. I’ll save that for a slow hobby week maybe. I got a few other things I’m saving for when I’m making less progress.
As someone currently unemployed, who owns too many unpainted models, including a pile of material for a trench themed miniature wargaming table. So I put another coat of black paint on a tile. After first test fitting the tiles and scatter terrain, I eventually decided to do the planking last night. It took quite a while and after only two tiles, I think I may have used half of my Popsicle sticks. They are cheap and easy to find in craft stores, but this tile isn’t even the one that needs the most planking. The wider trenches are easier to work with, the narrow more realistic tiles might be quite frustrating to do the planks.
This time I made the planks fit pretty well. I even used some balsa wood on part of it to make it level with the foam. I also implemented my exit scheme. One of my pet peeves with miniature terrain is the ladders are always modeled too small to be useful. Miniatures often end their move half way up, but you have to pretend. Ramps are great to show exactly where a miniature is, but they take more space and are not terribly accurate. Stairs have to be oversized, but again aren’t something you normally seen in trenches. I made a hybrid, it is a very steep ramp with two narrow steps on it, so miniatures can end part way into or out of the trench. I’ll probably make some stand alone ladders that I can just plop down, they are also available for sale. But I plan to model two more exits.
I’ve also lined one side of the trench with plastic sandbags, but the pictures of that are still on my iPhone and the cable is at home. This was just for fun. It goes against my modular everything theme, but I wanted to try them out. I clipped them all off and put them in a jar. Some are a bit big for 28mm though both brands are 1:35 scale. 28mm falls between 1:35 and 1:48. Using pre-made resin pieces is easier, no gluing, no clipping, no cleaning, but I’m not sure which is cheaper. Making your own sandbags out of a modeling medium might be the cheapest and most flexible, but for speed pre-cast resin pieces is the way to go.
My plan for this evening is to put down a layer of black paint and then a layer of grit (cat liter) before bed time. I plan to use a bit more grit than last time, but the big difference will be using a lot more beach sand. I also will likely put some scattered bitz down at the same time as the sand. I already put a drum for rainwater perhaps in the trench. I have three pieces of resin scenery also on my painting table and will make three more pieces of scatter terrain which will spread into no man’s land. These will be based on plastic GW tank traps, as although I want an opening in the defenses to slip the odd scout out of the trenches, which is historically accurate, I don’t want it to be a weak point so several tank traps will be further protecting the position.
For the record I prefer the Italeri brand plastic sandbags. They have more detail, with a garbage bag style end. Both brands have a couple different shapes, but the Italeri are solid, well the other brand is hollow so you can only put one side up with the green ones. The green ones are bigger which works less well for 28mm.