So after finishing my second modular trench tile yesterday I took a break, but I couldn’t sleep so I got up and worked on terrain some more. I still plan to assemble and get painting some more miniatures for my 2010 Astronomi-con Vancouver army, but I also worked on another entrenchment. This one entirely scratch built to fill a gap, as Snapdragon only makes so many sizes and shapes. I’m wedded to the 12″ tile for at least the majority of this project.
I also cleaned a lot of resin this morning during the second half of the World Cup game. All these bits are from Ramshackle, they were bought for my ork army to scratch build and customize some vehicles, but a few of them will do nicely as battlefield debris.
I also dug out the photo I took of the drawing of how the battlefield will look. This is the second drawing and it has been fixed to the wall above my painting table for months. I’ve been scheming and planning and preparing for this project for well over a year. So far things have gone according to plan, but if I don’t get a job soon, I may have to put stuff in storage…
Update: I did have to store everything for several years and may never finish this modular trench table now, but I did start painting again.
I plan to assemble several models. I actually have a written down paint queue which I regularly adjust, but don’t regularly post to the Internet. It is one of the tabs on my army Excel file which lists all the models I have painted for the Diseased Sons and the Nefarious Fire. It also shows real and hypothetical ways to field them. I’ll have to make a similar spreadsheet for the Orks eventually. I’ve held off even making an army list for them, I want to make all or as many of my old ork figures and squads legal before I worry about tactics and optimizing.
I also uploaded the document that details the plans for individual tiles, some have detailed descriptions, others are more vague. I jotted these down one night and have been updating it and the drawing when I feel the need. I’ve even worked on a No Musk’s Land 2.0 tile layout. It requires six more tiles, so that might be for 2012.
Consulting my own Excel file, as sometimes I forget to build things or paint them the correct color. Often I write which squad a model is for on the bottom of it’s base when I prime them, as sometimes models sit on my painting desk for years…
- 2nd Test Bezerker
- Test Servant of Decay
- Test WW1 Canadian Corps Rifleman
- CSM with Heavy Bolter
- Plaguemarine with Melta Gun
- Secret model
For the test bezerker I’m using the old, original, OOP, plastic model, I have five of them still on sprues. That tells you how long I’ve been going to do some Khorne guys for… For the test Servant of Decay I think I’ll use one of the plastic Necromunda figures. He’ll be pretty much as is, but I’ll paint him in my proposed scheme of brown uniform, black boots, shoulder pads, and helmet, with purple accents. The rabble can have a variety of earth colours for their clothes possibly including some greens and reds. The big risk is the skin tone, I’m going pale blue as they are supposed to be Nurgle followers. The Plague Zombies will be more traditional greenish tinged flesh.
I’ve painted a number of Heavy Weapons for the Nefarious Fire but no Heavy Bolter, which as the cheapest will be pressed into duty for my Chosen. I don’t know when the plastic CSM with Heavy Bolter came out, but I’ve never painted one, so that is the fig I plan to use. The plaguemarine is just for looks, I have unused metal Plaguemarine havoc bits, so I figure I’ll paint one up. The plaguebearer is just for fun, I like to have one on my paint table to use up colors or to test techniques, Nurglings are great for this too. I’ve already got a couple on the go, which along with touching up some old models I hope to finish off quickly.